Isometric exercises are one of strength and resistance training which is done through muscle contraction without change in motion of joint angle and muscle length during the exercise using overcoming or yielding isometric.
Benefits of Isometric Exercises
- Improve ability to supply energy to muscle
- Increase capacity for muscle activity
- Gives a great physical strength and power
- Modify body composition
- Lose body fat
- Relieve stress
Isometric movements have been used in variety of field such as rehabilitation, rock climbing,mountain bike, judo, wrestling, alpine ski, shooting, and gymnastic. However there is a risk of getting injury if it’s done without a proper instruction, so caution is needed when doing isometric exercises.
Basic rules of Isometric Exercises
Before start doing any sort of strength training, it is highly recommended to work on the flexibility through stretching prior to do any type of exercises. It is one of the basic prinicipal for all kinds of workout, since it has many benefits in lot of ways. When you improve the flexibility, it will help to prevent injury during the workout and help to maximize the effect of strength and resistance training afterward.
It is crucial to have strong ligament and gun for any type of dynamic movement because this will help to resist the tension of weight and prevent the rupture of muscle. You can improve them by doing light strength exercises, starting from lower part of your body.
Types of Isometric Exercises
1.Muscle Setting Exercises
- Very little isometric resistance or none. Easy level of isometric activities
- Helps to relax the muscle group and accelerate blood flow circulation
- Helps to relief from pain after the injury
- Keeps the move-ability and power of muscles while they are healing
- Delays shrinking of muscle, during the process of rehabilitation for muscle and joints
2. Stabilization Exercises
- Intermediate level of isometric movement
- Helps to stabilize the joints and improve co-contraction ability
- Can be done with weight bearing exercises
- Mainly focuses to get isometric tension on muscles groups from inner side of legs and arms or body
3. Multiple-Angle Isometrics Exercises
- Isometric exercises performed using isometric resistance of weight machines, free weight or elastic equipment at multiple joint angles for the same muscle group to develop dynamic power
Note:Intensity should be about 60~80% of power that your muscle can generate and performed for 6~10 seconds until muscle reaches the maximum level of tension
Everybody know how important it is to have strong core muscles. It includes back, stomach, and lateral, which stabilizes the whole body, so in order to utilize muscle of whole body efficiently, you should stretch and activate your ab muscle, and Psoas muscle prior to main exercise. Best isometric exercise to stretch and activate your core muscles are plank and side plank. All you need is only small space, which can be your room or anyplace. This can also be one of the best whole body exercise, since it contract every muscle part of your body without modifying the muscle length and the joint angle from the original position. All you need to do is just holding a static position. Despite the simplicity of this workout, it is very effective and beneficial from many different aspect for your body.